Fans of Joey W. Hill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WELCOME TO THE JOEY W. HILL FAN FORUM!!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol

Go down 
+17
MysticSeanachi
browneyedgirl
Loviatar
betsys
MistressKatishka
Sandy
Dotty
VampireTemptressJaime
maryde
ashN
Preternatural Addict
Terry
Airbear
behalf23
Maureen
Aleah
Joey W. Hill
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Empty
PostSubject: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 9:34 am

Okay, there was a LOT of whining about how, since Vampire Instinct wasn't coming out until July, I should give you all another excerpt from it to tide you over. You wore me down, so here it is, and - shaking stern finger - this is it! No more cookies until after dinner... (laughter). Seriously, I'm delighted you guys are so eager for this story. I'm just as eager to share it! Hope you like this other brief glimpse. I think what's happening is pretty evident from the dialogue, but if I'm wrong about that and you get confused, don't hesitate to say so. Sometimes the author's a little too close to it, and what seems obvious to us is Greek to everyone else (grin).

Malachi showed his teeth as Kohana blocked him at the top of the porch. “You need to take off your shoes,” the old Indian said. “They’re covered in mud.”

“They’re always covered in mud.”

“Which is why they need to be left out here.”

Mal gave him a gimlet eye. “It would take two fingers for me to rip your throat out. Maybe just one.”

“I expect you could do that with or without shoes on.” Kohana sighed, made room as Mal ascended the porch with a near snarl. “Fine. Go on in, then. But the girl’s worked herself to death to clean things up today.”

Mal came to a stop. “She’s not here to be manual labor.”

“Well, you’re not leaving her with much to do, and she’s worked all her life. It’s what she knows. It helps her. She doesn’t go mad, thinking about how much she wants to see those young vampires. Look at how pretty and shiny those windows are. I hate doing windows.”

Mal scowled, pivoted and thumped down in one of the porch rockers. Kohana cocked his head as he began to tug the laces loose. From his employer’s expression, he could tell the night’s work had not gone well, and it didn’t take much of a leap to figure what had caused the problem. “How are they?”

“Damaged.”

“Irreparably?”

Mal grunted. “Pointless either way. If I can fix the damage done to them, they have nowhere to go, nowhere they’ll fit where they won’t end up in a situation that might actually be worse. In the vampire world, they’d be viewed as circus freaks. Or worse. Plenty would take advantage of it.”

“But not all. Could some of them stay here, permanently? We could surely use a few more with vampire speed and quickness, like yourself.”

“These aren’t animals.” Mal sighed, rubbed a hand over his face. “They have intellect, the root of all human mischief. It’s what makes us discontent with our lot in life, seeking higher meaning and purpose. If these fledglings had a mortal life span, say sixty years or seventy years, fine, but they’re immortal, Kohana. Do you think they’d like to stay on this island for the next four or five hundred years or more?”

“I know I would. Nothing out there better than this. You see enough bad stuff, get your heart broken, you know why an animal is smarter than us, without that intellect. Maybe you learn to accept it, want that for yourself.”

“Don’t be talking to her like this. I mean it, Kohana.” Mal lifted his head. “Don’t give her false hope. Each of these fledglings is fucked-up twelve ways to Sunday. The chance any of them could reach a decent level of self-determination and stability is right up there with biblical miracle.”

“I’ve seen you pull off miracles.”

“You’re like talking to a stump. Only a stump has the good sense to keep its thickheaded opinions to itself. Where is she?”

“Probably asleep in your room. I sent her that way an hour ago to put on clean sheets.”

“What?” Malachi frowned. “You didn’t tell her—”

“Of course not.” Kohana looked offended. “I made an oath to you, Mal. You think I’d break it?”

“No.” Mal rose, put a hand on his shoulder. “It was a gut reaction. But you sent her down there. What if she screws something up?”

“You think while she’s changing out the sheets she might catch a thread of your devil-spawned universe and accidentally unravel the whole thing?” Kohana grunted. “Room’s peaceful, quiet. I knew it might coax her to sleep some. She needs more rest. I wasn’t going to disturb her until she came back, and then I was going to act like I hadn’t even noticed how long she’d been gone.”

“You probably have the right instinct, putting her to work.” Darkness settled back over Mal’s features. Leaving his socks and shoes behind, he moved to the threshold in his dusty cargo pants and T-shirt. “We won’t help by coddling her, Kohana. Nobody gets past something like she’s been through by being treated like glass. You have to convince them they’re flesh and blood, as they’ve always been. The earth keeps turning, no matter what happens.”

“You might follow your own advice,” Kohana noted. “You’ve been hiding out here for some time yourself, ignoring the outside world.”

“Not ignoring. Mindful of it. Mindful enough to know this is where I belong, just as you said. I’ll take my blood when I come back up. Just set it out on the counter. Everyone else is about ten minutes behind me and I know they’ll be hungry. They had to handle the cats without me while I worked with those fledglings. Thomas helped some, but I’m not comfortable having even a third-mark near them. Not until we figure out what’s going on in their heads.”

“The girl could probably help with that.”

“She’s concocted all sorts of sentimental notions about it.” Mal snorted. “I’ll have to wade through that claptrap to get to the useful things she knows. But stop your scowling. I plan to take her to see them soon. Don’t tell her that, either. I may very well change my mind.”

Moving into the house, Mal headed toward the lower level.

Elisa started awake. She’d been staring out over that beautiful puzzle of light and earth, and then there’d been a fog rolling in, a darkness. She hadn’t felt fear, just a need to come back to herself, a sense that someone was calling for her, and she needed to answer.

She pushed herself up on one arm, orienting herself. The precipice and the cougar of her odd dream were still so close, it was difficult at first to realize she was in a bedroom, an unfamiliar one.

Oh, Lord in Heaven, had she really fallen asleep on his bed? What was the matter with her? She galvanized her sluggish limbs into motion and then, on top of that mortification, she realized she wasn’t alone.

Mal leaned in the doorway, arms crossed, thumbs hooked at his armpits. He was barefoot, which somehow suited him, made him look more wild and untamed. Or maybe it was just the lingering effect of her dream. In a sudden spurt of panic, she clapped her hands to her body, and confirmed she was still wearing her work dress, and not an animal skin. However, looking down, she felt a little faint when she noticed there was dirt caked under her fingernails that hadn’t been there before.

In her dream, she’d dug her hands into the soil, to smear more of it on her. Lying flat out on the ground, looking up at the sky, she’d liked the way earth felt across her abdomen, over her breasts, the tops of her thighs. The cougar had lain on her legs, a heavy, solid warmth.

Don’t be silly. You just didn’t wash your hands properly after cleaning the windows and porch.

Despite her reeling head, she managed to get off the bed and began to smooth it. “I’m so sorry, sir. I just . . . I don’t know what happened. Must be the jet lag. I didn’t mean to nod off like that. I got on the bed to make it, and I was touching the animal skins, and next thing . . . Anyhow, it won’t happen again. I’ll just go see if Kohana needs anything . . .”

She’d been gathering up the old sheets while she babbled. That was another mistake in judgment, because the sheets smelled like him. For some reason, her mind was flooded with a detailed image of him standing before her if she had been wearing only an animal skin. Not the one in her dream, but the tiger skin, gathered around her, her hand clasping it loosely just above her breasts as she knelt in the center of his bed. What if he’d crossed the room, closed his hand over hers, loosened those fingers and pushed it away, so it coiled around her like the actual beast? He’d bear her down against the pelt and put his mouth on her flesh . . .

Scurrying around the bed, she caught her toe on the heavy wood frame. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, God forgive her, a toe stubbing hurt like a son of a bitch, and on top of that it was an embarrassing reminder that she’d slipped off her shoes to get on the bed. She hopped, biting back the curse, and gathered up the tails of the sheets that were trying to unravel from her grasp. He was watching her with unfathomable fascination. Then, before she could rattle off something else, he spoke.

“I didn’t take their lives.”

She stopped, trying to push her mind past the throbbing. “Excuse me?”

He nodded toward the bed, the pelts. “I didn’t kill them.”

“No, of course not. I didn’t think you did.” She knew hunters who respected their prey, even as they had to hunt them for food. Dev was one of those, as were most of the men on the station. But cats were predators, not food, and it wouldn’t have made sense, no matter what kind of hunter Mal was.

“Their spirits help protect the island. They were poached by men, so they know the dangers, and that adds to the strength of their protection.” He pushed off the doorframe then, moved across the room toward her. She stayed frozen by that bedpost, toe aching and mind confused. He stopped at the side of the bed, catty-corner from her, and laid his hand on the skins. She realized now the one she’d been lying upon most squarely was the cougar’s. That grayish brown color with touches of white.

“Still warm,” he murmured; then he glanced at her. “The cougar is sometimes the gentlest of the large cats. They even purr. Which doesn’t mean much. She’ll still disembowel you if you do the wrong thing around her.”
Elisa remembered that throaty rumble as the cat sat beside her on the precipice. She’d thought she’d merely merged her own fancy with the house cats she’d seen earlier, and maybe she had been, but apparently they did purr.

He moved again, this time toward her. It was instinct to step back, to clutch the sheets tighter. She was in his bedroom, alone with him, a male far more powerful than her. And she’d been thinking unseemly things. He would have seen it.

“I didn’t mean it,” she burst out, trying to step around him. “I don’t . . . It doesn’t mean . . . I need to get back to Kohana, get these sheets to him.”

Mal shook his head, took the sheets from her arms, dropped them to the side. Putting his hands to her waist, he boosted her onto the high mattress. She clutched his forearms. She wouldn’t beg. She wouldn’t make a fool of herself.

“Stop your shaking,” he said quietly, a firm rebuke that perversely reassured her because of the familiar irritation in his voice. It was his form of growling, and apparently a regular feature of their conversations. Not really the sound of a man about to be overcome with a fit of lust. Or so she thought.

“The thought was mine, not yours, Elisa. I let it slide into your head. It was a picture too pretty not to share.” He gave her an absent smile that made the bottom of her world drop about two feet, her stomach with it. Lifting her left foot, the one she’d stubbed, he studied the toe, which had an extra pink tone from the agitated blood vessels. There was also a small cut in the cuticle, since the bedposts were unfinished wood.

He squatted onto his heels, which drew the fabric of his trousers taut along his haunches, and bent his head over her toes. His hair fell forward, teasing the top of her foot, and he flipped it back impatiently to see whatever it was he was trying to see.

She was going to protest, tell him it was fine and pull her foot away, but instead, maybe because the natural impulse that had taken her over in that dream was still with her, she leaned forward, folding her body over her knees, and reached toward his face. He stilled but didn’t glance up, and she wondered if he’d learned that from dealing with shy, uncertain animals. Appear as if what she was doing was unremarkable, so that she’d have the courage to follow through with it. It worked for her.

Gathering up his hair on both sides, she handed it off to her other hand so she could pull the majority of it to his left shoulder, her knuckles resting there as she held the shoulder-length locks out of his way. Like all vampires, his hair was a treasure of thick silk that made a woman want to bury her fingers in it, like those pelts. There was something fascinating in touching a wild creature so intimately, wasn’t there? Only this one still inhabited his skin. Of course, after her dream, she thought the ones on the bed did, too, a magical notion.

He looked up at her then. It increased tension on the strands, tightening them over her fingers. “So you can see what you’re doing,” she managed. Just being helpful, because that was what she did. It didn’t mean anything.

That regard continued for a long moment; then he bent his head again. This time he brought her foot to his mouth and she drew in a breath as the heat of his mouth closed over that smallest toe. His tongue swirled over the cut, tasting the tiny revelation of blood, and soothing the pain at once. Since the capacity of his mouth was far greater than her littlest toe, he was able to include the pad of her sole and the toes next to the injured one in that sensation of heat and moisture, though he kept his focus on the one that needed his attention.

Her fingers had curled inward, holding the hair tighter. She was also conscious of his hand supporting her ankle and heel, holding her fast. As he licked the cut and teased her flesh, his own grip increased, so that sensation rippled up her leg, toward the inner thigh and higher.

Just like the image of her on the bed, in nothing but one of those skins, now she saw him commanding her to lie back on her elbows, the skirt of her dress slipping back to her thighs because he would rise, lifting her leg higher, continuing to hold it. Only now his heated palm would move from her ankle to behind the knee, his fingers caressing that sensitive part. His gaze would travel down the length of the leg to the shadowed folds of the dress, pulled back enough to reveal her undergarments, the panel of her panties, which were . . . She swallowed. They were actually, truly damp, not just in her vision. He was doing this to her, with nothing but his mind, but she couldn’t tell if it was his imagination or hers.

“Does it matter?” He lifted his head at last. “You’re calmer now, aren’t you? Less afraid. There’s nothing to fear from pleasure, Elisa. Your body still responds to arousal, as it should.”

It made her stiffen. She let go of his hair so it fell back down over his shoulders. Slowly, she exerted pressure to bring her foot back into her own care. Sitting back on his heels again, he let her go. She didn’t look at him as she slid off the bed, somewhat awkwardly since she had to maneuver around him, and circled to gather up the sheets again.

Once she did, she faced him. He’d stood up, one hand high on the bedpost. “Mr. Malachi, sir, I don’t want you to play such games with me. That’s not why I’m here. What happened to me . . . that’s mine to deal with, and Lady Danny sent me here to be of use with the fledglings, and your household, when they aren’t occupying me.”

“I don’t need a house servant.”

“Kohana is a man with one leg. As capable as he is, there are things that are harder for him to do. You might as well let me be useful while I’m here. I can’t keep you out of my mind.” She spoke carefully now, staring a hole in his chest. “But I’m asking you, as a courtesy, not to do what you’ve been doing here.”

“It helped.”

“I’m not here to be helped.” She snapped it, ducking her chin into the sheets, hugging them to her body. “Don’t play with my mind, Mr. Malachi. I can’t handle that. I truly can’t.”

Darting forward, she ducked under his arm, giving the edge of the bed a straightening tug where the cougar skin had flipped back and wrinkled. Then she spun and headed for the door. Once she reached the upper level, reality and the dawn would clear this nonsense from her head.

“Elisa.”

She stopped. For just one second, she thought of pretending she hadn’t heard him, but of course that would be unwise and unlikely. She couldn’t turn and face him, though. She just waited, afraid of what he might say, her heart pounding in her ears. He didn’t have to listen to anything she wanted. She had no idea what hold Danny had on him, but for all she knew, he could do as he liked. She needed to talk to Thomas. And oh, God in Heaven, Thomas would be leaving after those three days.

He sighed, that impatient sound as if she were a bug he’d prefer to squash and dismiss from his existence. “Tomorrow night I’m going to handle your orientation of the preserve personally. You’ll learn what rules you need to observe if you go off the compound.”

Did that mean he was already considering letting her stay longer? Why would he teach her the rules for such a short time, otherwise?

“Whether you’re off the compound once or a hundred times, you still need to know the rules. And I told Danny I’d show you our setup, so you know what kind of place this is for the fledglings. Don’t read more into it than that.”

She nodded, swallowing her disappointment. “Will I see the chil—fledglings?”

“We’ll see how it goes. Be ready at dusk. I’ll have Kohana scare you up some trousers and boots. You can’t go out there in a dress.”

She nodded, dug her fingers into the sheets and fled with as much grace as she could muster. Her body was still throbbing and her mind a confused tangle from that dream, and though she’d been here a day, she felt mired in all the mysteries and puzzles of this place, the most dangerous of which was going to spend tomorrow evening with her.

Back to top Go down
Aleah
Territory Overlord
Territory Overlord
Aleah

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:41 am

Oh my goodnes....licking the pads o her feet Hubba Hubba . Talk about being soaked ...

Then the dream of the cougar....oh Wow.

Ms. Joey, I hate to say it but this tease of the viginette is not gonna hold us over. Too damn enticing to just keep this and be done with it Drool pyro .

I loved it and waiting as patiently as I can muster for/if any more will be given Innocent
Back to top Go down
Maureen
1st Marked Servant
Maureen

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am

Joey: The additional teaser just whets the appetite for more of this wonderful book.

As a reader, the anticipation to the publication date is excruciating.
Back to top Go down
Aleah
Territory Overlord
Territory Overlord
Aleah

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:33 am

Maureen,

Sweets, you said a mouth full with that one.
I wonder if we can push the date a little sooner.... probably not. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
behalf23
3rd Marked Servant
behalf23

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 am

Thank you, Joey, for sharing some more of this lovely work with us! I am very eager to see it published, but will have to wait patiently.....sigh.

Barbara
Back to top Go down
Airbear
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm

THANK YOU!!!
Back to top Go down
Terry
Mistress of the Boardroom

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Okay, there was a LOT of whining about how, since Vampire Instinct wasn't coming out until July, I should give you all another excerpt from it to tide you over. You wore me down, so here it is, and - shaking stern finger - this is it! No more cookies until after dinner... (laughter). Seriously, I'm delighted you guys are so eager for this story. I'm just as eager to share it! Hope you like this other brief glimpse. I think what's happening is pretty evident from the dialogue, but if I'm wrong about that and you get confused, don't hesitate to say so. Sometimes the author's a little too close to it, and what seems obvious to us is Greek to everyone else (grin).

Oh Joey, I'm sorry, but I am so confused! Maybe a chapter before this and a chapter or two after this will help me to understand what's going on (smirk).

Seriously, you know your writing always makes me hungry for more, even when it's a two-book story - I want more! Really looking forward to July!!!!!

Thank You!!
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:03 am

Terry, I KNEW I shouldn't have given you that opening (laughter). Thank you all, ladies - glad you're liking it enough to want more NOW, and wish I could fulfill that wish. Hopefully we'll keep the vignettes, character interviews and other hints/tidbits coming between now and July to help pass the time (grin).
Back to top Go down
Aleah
Territory Overlord
Territory Overlord
Aleah

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 am

Joey, just to prove that we want more......

Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol ImagesCA9O9IQ0

To keep all of us waiting and wanting; have fun and enjoy..
Back to top Go down
Airbear
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:30 am

Quote :
“What?” Malachi frowned. “You didn’t tell her—”

“Of course not.” Kohana looked offended. “I made an oath to you, Mal. You think I’d break it?”

“No.” Mal rose, put a hand on his shoulder. “It was a gut reaction. But you sent her down there. What if she screws something up?”

“You think while she’s changing out the sheets she might catch a thread of your devil-spawned universe and accidentally unravel the whole thing?” Kohana grunted. “Room’s peaceful, quiet. I knew it might coax her to sleep some. She needs more rest. I wasn’t going to disturb her until she came back, and then I was going to act like I hadn’t even noticed how long she’d been gone.”

I just have a question but in this snippet are they talking about Mal's dungeon?
Back to top Go down
Preternatural Addict
3rd Marked Servant
Preternatural Addict

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 am

Not Worthy -singing 'Your simply the best...duh duh duh duh...better than all the rest!' Ahh thanks AuthorMistress. I'm now sated....for the moment lol Looking forward to the full story!
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:19 pm

LMAO Aleah...love it!! I think that should be put on the backcover under the blurb (wink). And Shan, thank you for the spontaneous solo - laughter.

Airbear, thanks for the question - no, they're not referring to Mal's dungeon. There is something special and unusual about the cat sanctuary island on which he lives and works; certain paranormal elements are in play to protect it, and it's a reference to that. :>

Let me know if you need further info!
Back to top Go down
Aleah
Territory Overlord
Territory Overlord
Aleah

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Joey,

I am glad you loved it. I had a seconds trepidtion that it might have been a no-no. I felt that it went long the lines for the book. I don't object for you to use it the blurb section of the book cheers .

The cat sanctuary is Mal's place for his center of piece of mind. In other words I believe that it is his inner sanctum that he comes to worship the Mother Earth for her part to find a balance between humans and vampires.
Back to top Go down
ashN
2nd Marked Servant
ashN

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Love it. Thanks! I can't wait for the book to come out!
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Aleah, it wasn't a no-no at all. Thank you for it! If you don't mind emailing me off list where you got it, so I can find out what licensing rights surround it, I honestly might want to use it for some of the promo materials I'll design to hype Vampire Instinct before it comes out (smile).

And your theory on the island's magic is partially correct, kind of as a side effect of the main purpose of it. But I won't say more than that right now so I don't spoil it (grin).

Thanks, AshN - I can't wait, either!
Back to top Go down
Preternatural Addict
3rd Marked Servant
Preternatural Addict

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:31 am

LMAO Ahh good times. Glad you liked my solo Joey!

Joey W. Hill wrote:
You wore me down, so here it is, and - shaking stern finger - this is it! No more cookies until after dinner... (laughter).

Will happily wait (with bated breath) for dinner *groans*

Last edited by Preternatural Addict on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Airbear
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 am

I definitely CANNOT wait I have read this small taste like 6x already today!
Back to top Go down
Aleah
Territory Overlord
Territory Overlord
Aleah

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 5:13 am

Ms. Joey,

Please double check your email. I had to research the photo for a long time til came up this your information.

Airbear, I feel the vibe of the book as well. It's sooo damn good and waiting is just gonna put me under *sighs*.
Back to top Go down
maryde
Region Master
Region Master
maryde

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:56 am

Oh dear Joey...
You've opened a Pandora's box now you know.... lol
They will HAUNT you forever now...
lol! Drac Drac Drac Vampy lol!
Back to top Go down
Aleah
Territory Overlord
Territory Overlord
Aleah

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Haunting her only defeats the purpose, Mary. Very Happy

We want her to finish the books that she currently working on. I think its four. And being tossed around the Muse for her stories is probably overwhelming. Don'tcha think?
Back to top Go down
Airbear
Fan
Fan

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:44 pm

I have a question!

I have been reading this for the UMPTEENTH time Very Happy .

Quote :
These aren’t animals.” Mal sighed, rubbed a hand over his face. “They have intellect, the root of all human mischief. It’s what makes us discontent with our lot in life, seeking higher meaning and purpose. If these fledglings had a mortal life span, say sixty years or seventy years, fine, but they’re immortal, Kohana. Do you think they’d like to stay on this island for the next four or five hundred years or more?”

so why is Mal speaking as if they are capable of Adult concepts? does this mean that while there bodies are frozen at whatever age they were turned at that their minds will continue to mature?

We know from Emma in the first excerpt that the fledglings ranged from Six years old to 15 years old.

Quote :
The two girls and four boys ranged in visual age from six to fifteen.

A six year old isn't going to be discontent with her/his lot in life or understand about seeking a higher meaning or purpose. Heck I think that the ONLY ones who might get discontent would be the teenagers. Not only that but they wouldn't be able to go anywhere by themselves anyway or else they would have to compel people all the time, because MOST people would find it strange for any child even a teenager to be wondering around by themselves.

I would also think that people would find it EVEN weirder in the 1950's.
Back to top Go down
VampireTemptressJaime
VampireTemptressJaime

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Does anyone care that I was sweating after I read this? GOOD LORD! It was an amazing excerpt, Joey. Thank you! But I'm now even more eager to read the book! Insatiable, I know. LOL
Back to top Go down
Aleah
Territory Overlord
Territory Overlord
Aleah

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Jaime,

I feel the same as you do about the excerpt. I even put up cat-man to help a little bit too. I love you Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 pm

No worries - I do hope you all will haunt me for a good long time!

Airbear, you have latched on to an important point in the book, and one of the major problems the fledglings have. A mature adult, made into a vampire, might season a little or look a little younger, depending on the circumstances, but they'll always stay around the 25-35 age "appearance". Now, it's rare for vampires to turn humans older than that, but it can happen. When it does - say a vampire turns a forty year old man; that new vampire will look about forty, but a very nice looking forty (grin).

So this translates into a tragic result for children turned into vampires. The bodies
remained trapped at those ages, but their minds do not. So if you were turned at 13, you would always look thirteen, but your mind could age. There are other physical downsides to changing children, but those get a little bit into the spoiler area, so I'll shy off from saying more, but hope that answers your question.

This is of course entirely different for born vampires, who basically follow the natural aging process until they get into their twenties, and then, they as well settle into that permanent 25-35 year old look. Let me know if you need more information!

Aleah, I have two pending for the mass market, and one pending on Ben, so only three right now (grin). But considering the ones waiting in the queue, think it's all relative (laughter). Thanks so much for taking the time to look for that photo. I appreciate it greatly.

And Jaime, I'm delighted Mal got you all flustered - he knows he has to compete with Mason! (grin)
Back to top Go down
VampireTemptressJaime
VampireTemptressJaime

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Compete with Mason? Pfft. Though I have admitted to not being completely put off by the thought of being trapped in a room with Mason and Daegan. Thirsty Vampire

Seriously, LOVED the excerpt. Don't you worry, we'll be begging for another before July.

not worthy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol   Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vampire Instinct Excerpt #2 - Because you nagged...lol
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next