Fans of Joey W. Hill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WELCOME TO THE JOEY W. HILL FAN FORUM!!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Risque Reviews interview

Go down 
+9
VampireTemptressJaime
winnie
BARBARA
doris gomez
Miss Mindy
klsmith
Iva
Terry
Joey W. Hill
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Do you mind if I take the place of the Joey clones for a day or two? Sounds like an excellent excercise to limber the fingers for typing, you know. Love the pirate representation of our ladies! And I agree with you. We'll just all have to go sometime and take NOLA by storm.

Doris, yes, I write about it. In the meantime, I stay upstairs with my computer, comfortably surrounded by my insecurities. Chuckle - on that note, has anyone seen Nim's Island with Jodie Foster, Abigail Breslin and Gerard Butler? Despite the stellar cast, it falls short, but the absolute fantastic part of it is Jodie Foster's portrayal of a neurotic writer who has to overcome her phobias to get to the island to help Abigail. I was literally crying with laughter when she was on the plane, promising if she was allowed to survive the stormy flight, she would return home and never leave it again, and embrace her insecurities/phobias. Basically, her character was so much me, my husband was giving me the cocked eyebrow and quirk of the lips all the way throughout.
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm

I just have to add, I am SO loving that Jon header at the top of the pages. Think it's my favorite one yet!
Back to top Go down
doris gomez
3rd Marked Servant
doris gomez

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 5:40 pm

JOEY, oh yeah, I'm lovin' Jon. Would just like to run my fingers under his starched white collar, loosen that tie and pop a button or two and move in for a kiss *sigh*

Love Jerry Butler, but didn't see, Nim's Island. Will have to. I'm confronting my own writing insecurities right now. That's why I think it would be such a great idea for you to. Kinda, sorta show me how it's done.
jump for joy jump for joy jump for joy
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 4:23 pm

I love how he's pulling off the glasses with that intent look. I can just see him looking at Rachel like that. In fact, that's one of the things that pulls her in to him so early - his intent way of studying her, as if she's the most absorbing, compelling thing he's every seen. Sigh.

I would say you're not allowed to have any writing insecurities - you're wonderfully articulate and always give us fascinating reading - but from what I can tell, insecurities are what help us to be better writers, because we always know we can do better. :> I'll definitely try to do the comparison scenes once I get to that point in the editing process.

And really, what is NOT to like about Gerard Butler? Of course I also watched Robin Hood with Russell Crowe last night, and to hear him say "Ask me nicely" to Cate in that sexy rumble, with that direct stare...heart pounding. It's a very slow-moving historical, very Ripley Scott, but excellently done vesrion of the Robin Hood tale. They should have spent more time with the characters than the story, but that's just me - grin.
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
Region Master
Region Master
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Joey W. Hill wrote:
I also watched Robin Hood with Russell Crowe last night, and to hear him say "Ask me nicely" to Cate in that sexy rumble, with that direct stare...heart pounding.
Mental note...add Robin Hood to the Netflix queue...
Back to top Go down
doris gomez
3rd Marked Servant
doris gomez

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Yes, JOEY, I think you're right about the insecurities helping us. I'm learning the difference between banging out pure inspiration and the thoughtful crafting of a piece. The 1st is quick and exhilarating , the 2nd, slow, plodding, methodical, requiring critical decisions about what will and won't work. I find it a lengthy and exhausting process, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

MISS M, make that 2 for Master Crow. bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
maryde
Region Master
Region Master
maryde

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 4:54 pm

>>>>>It's because I subscribe to the puzzle assembly method of writing, where there are a lot of stops, starts, disjointed places, scenes that have nothing to do with the flow of the story stuck in there as place holders, etc. In short, until I get through that first round edit (and usually the 2nd and 3rd as well), I won't turn it over to a CP, because it's a waste of their time - it looks like a serial killer story board in a crime unit office (chuckle - actually probably not even that well organized).

Joey, I understand exactly how you feel, that's what my stuff looks like, but I'm a long way behind you Smile Smile Smile
I have people saying enter this and send off that, but you know what, until I have it in some sensible and satifying form that I am happy and proud to share, then why *scew* up some poor CP's brain and their valuable time... hee hee hee
I would NEVER send a painting out into the worl half complete, I look at my writing the same way... and I am still learning along the way all the time.....
Back to top Go down
behalf23
3rd Marked Servant
behalf23

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Good to know that I have something to look forward to---I just got the Russell Crowe Robin Hood, because I like Cate B. and thought it would be worth watching. I totally missed it in the theater. Happens to me a lot---movies come and go too quickly.
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Doris, nope, afraid to say - that's exactly how it's done (lol). Both steps necessary, at least from my experience. There may be someone who's able to bang out absolutely perfect, beautiful prose in the pure inspiration phase, but if that's the case, and I find out who he/she is, I will hunt them down and dissect them, because they really don't deserve to live (kidding...sorta!)

Maryde, there's definitely a fine line between honing your craft enough that when you put it out there it's in relatively decent shape, so that the CPing you get tells you things you didn't necessarily already recognize in the work, and trying to perfect it too much, to the point you NEVER throw it out there. I'm sure you'll know when you're ready because you already are experienced in the artistic process in another medium.

Miss Mindy, Doris and Barbara - If you liked movies like Kingdom of Heaven (Orlando Bloom), that have a slow build and integrate a lot of historical plotting vs character-driven plotting, you'll like it. I do like them when I'm in the right mood for them, and even when I'm not, I appreciate them, though I more the character-driven historicals, like Gladiator or Glory. AWESOME flicks.

Barbara, I rarely go to the movies anymore, because I'm at risk for becoming national news: "Woman beats movie-goer to death with their cell phone for texting all throughout the movie" (flash on, flash off, flash on, flash off...argh!!)

I'm apparently in a bit of a violent mood tonight (lol). Going to go list all my final typos for Afterlie and send them to my editor, and check back at JoJo's blogspot for comments (grin). Happy Friday!
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
Region Master
Region Master
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Joey W. Hill wrote:
Barbara, I rarely go to the movies anymore, because I'm at risk for becoming national news: "Woman beats movie-goer to death with their cell phone for texting all throughout the movie" (flash on, flash off, flash on, flash off...argh!!)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *wipes tears from eyes* Oh Joey, I have the same affliction, therefore my husband refuses to go to movies with me anymore. I will sit there and stew on the fact someone is being so inconsiderate and miss the entire movie.
I finally cracked a few years back. I had taken the teenage daughters of some friends to see the first Twilight movie. A group of teenage girls sat next to us and giggled , talked and consistently sent texts during the first part of the movie. I saw it was bothering the girls with me as well, and I wanted it to be a really great time for them since they loved the book series. So I proceeded to lean over to the rude girls and in my best low and stern voice stated "GIRLS! You are NOT the only ones in this theater attempting to watch this movie. You WILL be considerate of others, or you WILL be removed." We didn't hear a peep out of them for the rest of the movie, and they exited the theater rather quickly afterwords.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Mistress of the Boardroom

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Yes, Russell Crowe's Robin Hood, and his "Ask me nicely", hummina hummina. Course, just about everything he does is worth more than the price of admission.

And Joey, I agree with you! Last week we went and saw RED, and there was an idiot down in front who was texting all through the Please Don't Text message on the screen. At least he saved his life and mine but shutting it off when the movie actually started.

Girlfight Girlfight Girlfight
Back to top Go down
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Oh Miss Mindy, can you come with me to all my events? Pretty Please?!?
(is there a begging smiley??) chuckle
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
Region Master
Region Master
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Terry wrote:
Oh Miss Mindy, can you come with me to all my events? Pretty Please?!?
(is there a begging smiley??) chuckle

Terry I will GLADLY go to KC to ensure you enjoy yourself. As long as we can go to Worlds of Fun at some point. I haven't been there since '85. It is still there isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:48 pm

OMG yes, but it's probably been that long since I'VE been there myself! Fun place.
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Miss Mindy, you are my new hero. Bravo! And my husband has the same issue, only it came a few years before the texting craze, when people's rudeness was limited to incessant talking. After I took the heads off of a couple groups who apparently were more interested in running their mouths than watching the movie, he reassured me he LOVES to watch movies at home - lol[
Back to top Go down
Joey W. Hill
The Author Mistress
The Author Mistress
Joey W. Hill

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Terry, was RED good?
Back to top Go down
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 8:03 pm

I really liked it! Lots of good guys MY age! LOL It's a fun action/slight romance type yarn, good special effects, and the writing was pretty good. It won't win any awards, but was worth the price, and I'll probably want to own it so I can see it again whenever I wish.
Back to top Go down
behalf23
3rd Marked Servant
behalf23

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Joey and Miss Mindy:
We all need to figure out how to get private showings at a movie theater! I constantly get people who leave their cell phones on----despite the ads they run before the show starts telling folks to turn them off.
I have to confess that I watch most of my movies anymore at home, on a dvd. I can make my own popcorn for one twentieth of what it costs, drink my own choice of drink, and stop and start the film when I want or need. And I am not interrupted by uncouth cellphone users or texters.
Plus you get the extras that come on the dvd.
I will confess that I once in awhile I still go to a theater, to see something on the big screen. Last year I went for Avatar.
It would be very nice if I could get a Star Trek phaser; I've always wanted one for use when I am out in public and someone does something rude---imagine the joy of being able to stun them, and then not having to put up with their rudeness. Thumbs Up Innocent Hubba Hubba Lil\' Mistress
Back to top Go down
Miss Mindy
Region Master
Region Master
Miss Mindy

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 10:58 pm

behalf23 wrote:
Joey and Miss Mindy:
We all need to figure out how to get private showings at a movie theater!
*adding to my "when I win the big lottery" list*

behalf23 wrote:
I will confess that I once in awhile I still go to a theater, to see something on the big screen. Last year I went for Avatar.
That was the last one I saw in a big theater when it first opened. Saw it in the digital 3D and glad I suffered through the idiocy of society to see it. LOL

behalf23 wrote:
It would be very nice if I could get a Star Trek phaser; I've always wanted one for use when I am out in public and someone does something rude---imagine the joy of being able to stun them, and then not having to put up with their rudeness. Thumbs Up Innocent Hubba Hubba Lil\' Mistress
Here is a Star Trek phaser. Granted it's just a placebo (and waiting for it to come back into stock), but just being able to pretend stunning them might feel a little better.
Back to top Go down
behalf23
3rd Marked Servant
behalf23

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Mindy;
Thank you for my faux Star Trek phaser---it's the thought that counts. tyvm
Back to top Go down
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:30 pm

I knew a guy that thought he should be able to have a paintball gun in the car so he could splat idiot drivers with paint. Of course, he would be the only one allowed to have one... typical male. lol!
Back to top Go down
behalf23
3rd Marked Servant
behalf23

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 pm

I really think the phaser would be better than a paint gun. Set it on stun, zap the rude person, and walk away. By the time they recovered from the stun you would be long gone.
Back to top Go down
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:34 pm

I agree, and no splash stains that would be difficult to get out!
Back to top Go down
klsmith
3rd Marked Servant
klsmith

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Trekkies...LOL (I'm one and proud)....I'll take one too, as soon as some lazy scientist invents one for us Wink
Back to top Go down
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Ladies, break out the bank and set your tasers on "stun" ONLY $449.99!!
Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Taser_m26c-250x250
http://www.izapmen.com/Taser/taser-m26c/TASER-M26C-44009.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Risque Reviews interview   Risque Reviews interview - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Risque Reviews interview
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next